Honest Review of the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 persons Tent
What the folks at MSR have to say about the Hubba Hubba NX
Designed for backpackers who need a tent that can do it all while still being compact and lightweight, our bestselling MSR Hubba Hubba 2-person tent feels as light and efficient to use as it does to carry. From its optimized, symmetrical geometry and non-tapered floor that maximize space, down to its integrated, adjustable stake-out loops that speed setup, this tent redefines lightweight livability. Whether you’re setting out to climb the Sawatch Range or circumnavigate Mount Rainier along the Wonderland Trail, the freestanding, 3-season Hubba Hubba tent lets you enjoy the full backcountry experience — including time spent in the tent.
- Ultralight: Minimum weight is 1.54 kg / 3 lb 7 oz; two Fast & Light options from .97 kg /2 lb 2 oz.
- Maximum Space: Head and elbow room throughout tent; two large side-entry vestibules to store gear.
- Livable: Two large StayDry™ doors with built-in rain gutters; adaptable, cross-ventilating rainfly.
- Easy Setup & Packing: Unified hub-and-pole system with color-coded clips; ultra-compact compression stuff sack.
Full list of features
- Optimized symmetrical geometry and non-tapered floor
- Large, easy-entry D-shaped StayDry™ door and vestibule
- Side entry zipper orientation
- Rainfly kickstand vent
- Adjustable rainfly (roll-up vestibule & stargazer view)
- Light gray rainfly color (neutral light)
- Adjustable integrated stake-out loops
- Lightweight reflective guy-outs
- Durable high-tenacity nylon fabrics
- Reinforced Infinity bar tacks and lap-felled seams
- Durashield™-coated rainfly and bathtub-style floor
- Compression stuff sack with pull handle
My honest opinion of the Hubba Hubba NX
The first time I ever saw the Hubba Hubba was actually on the GR11 in 2016. From that moment on, I knew that the Hubba Hubba would be my choice of tent for my next long hike.
Even though I was on my own, I decided to get the larger Hubba Hubba, and not the Hubba, reason being, i could always share it with someone, or I could sleep comfortably with all my gear / backpack inside the tent. Yes, a bit more weight, but well worth it.
The Hubba Hubba packs down pretty small, fits either in your backpack, or strapped onto your backpack. It’s very easy and quick to put up, important when you have to put it up in the rain. It’s “free-standing” so you can put it up and still move it if needed. You can use it with or without the fly, this I REALLY loved, and made use of both. It has two entrances, which is great, and enough room to keep your backpack dry outside of the sleeping area. I used the Hubba Hubba in some very heavy rain and even snow, and it stood up well to both, the inside of the tent remained dry.
The Hubba Hubba is not a 4 season tent, but will get away with 3 seasons, however early in the season you will need a good / warm sleeping bag
The ground sheet along with the Hubba Hubba NX2 footprint [ bought separately ] is great, even on boggy ground it kept the water on the outside. Ventilation is excellent, due to the fact that the inside consists of 50% mesh
Would I recommend the MSR Hubba Hubba NX2??
This is a no brainer!.. 100% Yes.. The Hubba Hubba NX2 is definitely a fantastic lightweight trekkers tent. Easy and fast to put up, and guaranteed to keep you dry.
In all honesty, I would not know what the folks at MSR could do to improve this tent.. I really cannot fault it!
I would definitely recommend the MSR Hubba Hubba NX2